Sunday, September 12, 2010

Gratitude Is A Good Thing

I am going to practice gratitude by thinking about a person, a place, or an event that makes me feel joyful. I will write this item down on an index card and put it in my pocket and glance at the card periodically. I hope to bring back this happy memory all day long.

Update: There is a place in Alaska that I use as my happy place when I meditate. My husband and I went there over 20 years ago and took this hike up a mountain that went by an old, abandoned gold mining area. When we got to the top, I could hardly breath from the beauty that surrounded me. As I spun myself slowly in every direction, there were hills of mountains that went on forever. The rock we stopped to eat our lunch on was by a carpet of these dainty, alpine wildflowers. About 30 feet from this spot was a glacier. Everywhere we walked was more beautiful that anything I had every seen before. The awe of this place, the beauty of this place, the hugeness of the mountains, and the sweetness of the air are all memories that I come back to whenever I want to be calm and to feel the joy that nature brings to me over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment