Saturday, November 27, 2010

Ownership Of My Health

About a month ago I was diagnosed with Osteopenia. This is often a precursor to Osteoporosis. My bone density is less than a healthy density, but it's not as severe as osteoporosis. My doctor told me I needed to take 1200mg of calcium per day, 800 IUs to 1000 IUs of Vitamin D per day, and do weight bearing exercise 5 times per week. I always thought of myself as a healthy eater. I was already walking 5 times per week, doing hand weight exercises 3 times per week and taking 1000mgs of calcium per day. Since I felt like I was already doing everything right and it didn't help, I stopped everything.

Now it is time for me to take control of my health again. I researched calcium and it turns out I was taking a form that needed to be taken with food or an acid drink such as orange juice. That wasn't mentioned on my calcium supplement, but now I know. Tomorrow, I will go out and buy a calcium citrate supplement with Vitamin D added. I will walk and do my weights. I will come up with a plan to incorporate calcium into my diet by eating calcium rich foods.

I am getting back on track to live a healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment