Saturday, August 28, 2010

Stop The Chatter

I heard a story about how email contributes to our daily stress as does other electronics. We are listening to our IPods, surfing the internet, chatting on Skype, stalking people on Facebook, keeping up on our email and catching up on missed tv shows on our computers. We no longer, according to the story, give ourselves downtime. This downtime is when we let our mind relax, be creative and come up with new ideas. This has been lost with all the electronic clutter that is now a part of our lives.

I'm guilty. I can't remember the last time I read a book at home for longer than a half hour without checking on my email, or looking something up on the internet.

I'm going to try to give myself a big chunk of time to be away from all the electronic noise and clutter that has incorporated itself into my daily life. I'll let you know how I did.

Update: I spent about 90% of my day without going on my computer etc. It wasn't so bad. My husband, a musician, was at a gig last night where one of the musicians missed playing the beginning of a song because he was on his cell phone texting, checking email or whatever. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment